Thursday, June 25, 2009

Theorizing Public Policy: Why does it matter for women?

I think that the state maintains social inequality by not ratifying certain laws or upholding traditional practices regarding women. I haven’t experienced discrimination by the state, at least not that I am aware of. I think at this point in my life I haven’t really been exposed to the workings of the state because I am still being supported by my parents, so I only really hear of the problems that they have with the government.

I think that the early American assumption that citizens were white men perpetuates contemporary social inequities because we still view traditional roles as being fit for a white man. In the job market, a lot of white men hold the highest and most powerful positions within a company. Also, up until this year, a white man was always the president of the country. Although this has finally changed, it took America quite a while to be accepting of other races in the position of President of the United States.

I think that, yes, full equality can be achieved under our present system of democracy and capitalism. I think that if we are capable of having a half-African American man in office as President of the United States and two females running for the positions of President and Vice-President in the latest election, anything is possible for our society. While we still see a lot of negative aspects concerning the achievement of equality, there are just as many forces working to achieve equality for men, women, different races, homosexuals, etc.

I think that in order to create a more just state we need to reach the people, and not the politicians. It is important that people in a society know the pressing issues of that society, and are able to make informed decisions about how to deal with such issues. If we can reach the people, then we can reach equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment